Course MapsNo course maps posted yet.
Organizer: David Bakker (Event Director)
Back up in Kenna Cartwright Park this week. We will meet at the Hillside Drive trailhead, see the map below for the exact location. We'll have a couple of direction signs up.Schedule:
- 17:30 - Registration Opens and First-Timer instruction
- 17:45 - Orienteering Skill of the Week Lesson
- 18:00 - Orienteering Courses Starts
- 19:00 - Orienteering Courses Closes
Two courses offered this week, a shorter option and a longer option. Please remember to sign up online before you come out so we know how many maps to print.
Learn to Orienteer and Kamloops Weeknight SeriesWho:
This series of events are for everyone, regardless of fitness or experience. They are designed for families with kids, but are open to everyone. Children under 12 require a parent to participate with them. You can come out any week, we are more than happy to introduce complete newcomers to the sport anytime! We'll have someone on hand to help teach you the basics and get started.
We think everyone should try this introduction to orienteering series and especially if you:
- Have heard about this unusual sport of orienteering and would like to learn more about it;
- Enjoy running or hiking but get a little bored grinding out the miles;
- Enjoy maps and thinking on the run;
- Don't enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- Are interested in an activity that you can do with your friends or as a whole family;
- Love being outdoors or in the woods.
When and Where:
take place in a different city park within city limits and will run on
Wednesday evenings starting at 5:30 from the start of May to the middle
of June. Check each event page to get the exact meeting location for
each week. Doesn't fit you schedule? We also have weekend events where
beginners are always welcome! Check out the
full schedule for details.
- May 3 – Valleyview Sprint Map
- May 10 – McCarthur Island
- May 17 - Bunker Bench
- May 24 - Thompson Rivers University
- May 31 – Mount Dufferin - Pacific Way Trailhead
- June 7 – Mount Dufferin – Hillside Drive Trailhead
- June 14 – Valleyview Reloaded
What to Wear and Bring:
Ensure that you have good footwear for running on and off trails with decent grip. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty! If it's wet outside you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional. If you have a whistle, please bring one. Wear running clothes suitable for being outside and active and suitable for the weather. Bring something to drink and some snacks for afterwards.
How to Sign Up For This Week:
Click the "+ Register" button next to your desired course. Follow the instructions. This signs you up for your course so we know how many people are coming to the event and how many maps to print of each course. Help us keep costs low and save the environment by preventing over-printing of maps!
insurance purposes, all participants must be members of the Sage
Orienteering Club. Membership gives you access to all Orienteering
Canada events across the country, including all Sage Orienteering Club
events. A membership form can be found
here, or is available at any of our events. To speed things up at registration, please print off the form and bring it with you to your first event. The membership costs are as follows:
- Family - $40
- Adult - $20
- Youth - $10
Costs per person:
- Drop in cost - $5/week (to a maximum of $20/family)
Questions or concerns? Feel free and contact us!