Map: McArthur Island
Thanks to everyone for coming out! Results are now posted here. Sorry about the format, the usual website I use is down at the moment. Next week's location is on a map called Bunker Bench which is in the bottom part of Kenna Cartwright Park. We will meet in the parking lot right behind the composting. Encourage your friends to come out and give this sport a try! We are more than happy to help out any first-timers at any of our events. Also, please sign up online for all upcoming events so we know how many maps to print. Save us money, and the environment!
Week two of the Kamloops learn to orienteer series. It's not too late to join in on the fun, sign up today! This series will teach you all about orienteering starting with the
basics, and will gradually work on introducing new skills each week so
that by the end of June you are an expert!
This week's event will take place at McCarthur Island Park. We will meet in the parking lot for soccer fields 1 and 2 (this is on the west end of the island close to the golf course parking), but the event will take place all over the island. See the map below for the google map and meeting place.
We might experiment a bit and set up an orienteering style maze just for added fun!
- 17:30 - Registration Opens and first-timers instruction
- 17:45 - Orienteering Skill of the Week Lesson (Orienteering Course for current orienteers opens)
- 18:00 - Orienteering Courses Starts (for introduction to orienteering participants)
- 19:15 - Orienteering Courses Close
How to Sign Up For This Week (Even if you registered for the entire series):
Click the "+ Register" button next to your desired course.
Follow the instructions. This signs you up for your course so we know
how many people are coming to the event and how many maps to print of
Learn to Orienteer and Kamloops Weeknight SeriesWho:
series of events are for everyone, regardless of fitness or experience.
They are designed for families with kids, but are open to everyone.
Children under 12 require a parent to participate with them.
We think everyone should try this introduction to orienteering series and especially if you:
- Have heard about this unusual sport of orienteering and would like to learn more about it;
- Enjoy running or hiking but get a little bored grinding out the miles;
- Enjoy maps and thinking on the run;
- Don't enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- Are interested in an activity that you can do with your friends or as a whole family;
- Love being outdoors or in the woods.
When and Where:
take place in a different city park within city limits and will run on
Wednesday evenings starting at 5:30 from the start of May to the middle
of June. Check each event page to get the exact meeting location for
each week. Doesn't fit your schedule? We also have weekend events
where beginners are always welcome! Check out the full schedule for details.
- May 3 – Valleyview Sprint Map
- May 10 – McCarthur Island
- May 17 - Bunker Bench
- May 24 - Thompson Rivers University
- May 31 – Mount Dufferin
- June 7 – Riverside Park
- June 14 – Pacific Way Elementary
What to Wear and Bring:
Ensure that you have good footwear for running on and off trails with decent grip. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty! If it's wet outside you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional. If you have a whistle, please bring one. Wear running clothes suitable for being outside and active and suitable for the weather. Bring something to drink and some snacks for afterwards.
insurance purposes, all participants must be members of the Sage
Orienteering Club. Membership gives you access to all Orienteering
Canada events across the country, including all Sage Orienteering Club
events. A membership form can be found here, or is available at any of our events. To speed things up at registration, please print off the form and bring it with you to your first event. The membership costs are as follows:
- Family - $40
- Adult - $20
- Youth - $10
Costs per person (in addition to membership costs which cover insurance):
- Drop in cost - $5/week (to a maximum of $20/family)
- Entire Kamloops Weeknight Series Discount Rate (all 7 weeks) - $30 (to a maximum of $100/family)
The following orienteering courses will be available each week:
- Short Course (short distance, easy navigation)
- Long Course (longer distance, easy navigation)
Questions or concerns? Feel free and contact us!