South Canoe (Cancelled/Postponed) Salmon Arm
April 30th 2022 9:00am - May 8th 2022 6:00pm
Organizers: Alexander Corbett (Event Director), Alexander Corbett (Course Planner)
Map: South Canoe
Update (Saturday April 30th): Some unforeseen organizational circumstances have cropped up, so this event is postponed or cancelled while we sort them out. Sorry for the late notice.
This will be a self-directed training event. We have a mix of full size control flags and flagging tape out in the woods, and you request a digital version of the course map(s) as a PDF which you can print out (or keep it on your cellphone) to use.
This training event will also include a separate CorridorO map for those wanting to practice their fine navigation and map reading skill. This is intended for those who are confident with off-trail navigation. To do, download and print off both the course map and the corridor map as it is recommended to run both. Starting in the South Canoe parking lot, enter the corridor and proceed clockwise trying to stay out of the whited out areas. Unlike traditional CorridorO events there are no designated flags along the route. Instead, please upload a separate .gpx file for both course and corridor to compare routes with other orienteers. Remember, the goal of the corridor exercise is accuracy of navigation and not speed.
- Registration is not open yet
Location, Parking, and Map
This event will take place on the South Canoe map using the main parking lot. No updates to the map have been made specifically for this year, but the map is in pretty good shape.
These trainings are being offered for free to all Sage Orienteering Club members. In order to participate, EVERYONE in your group must have an active 2022 Sage Orienteering Club membership.
How it Works
- Register your Sage Orienteering Club membership and waiver online
- Fill in the event/training specific registration form, which will ask you which course(s) and members will be participating for the course of your choice and let us know how many of you are going. Everyone participating needs to be a member of Sage for insurance reasons. The registration form will allow you to download the course maps.
- Print the map, or load the map onto your phone.
- Do the course whenever you want during the time when the event is open. If you are interested in comparing results & routes with others (a great learning experience for everyone), record a GPS track on your smartwatch or phone (optional).
- Check in with the event organizer (including participant names and courses of everyone in your family) by:
- Filling in the Check-In Form (red button near top of page under quick links)
- Upload a .gpx file (you can export this from Strava, Garmin Connect, Attackpoint, and many others) to our website (link will be posted once registration is open) which will calculate your split times. We will also then overlay all the GPS tracks onto the map together so you can compare routechoices with others. Here are some instructions on how to record and upload your GPS track