Map: Black Forest
Due to COVID, at present, we are not having our usual in person events. Instead, we are setting up trainings that can be completed on your own, at any time during the week. We have checkpoint markers out in the woods, and individually email out your course maps. You print out the attached PDF to get your own map (or keep it on your cellphone) to use.
Location, Parking, and Map
You drive 1.9 km up Black Road from Hwy 97 and there will be a small dirt road on the left which will be marked (see map pin at bottom of page). There is limited parking unless you have 4X4 with good clearance. The two easiest parking locations are shown on the map which you get when registering. P2 is on a bend of Black Road but there is just enough room to get off the road.
The map has been expanded a bit from last year onto some of the open, rocky hilltops.
There are bears and lots of mosquitoes in the area. If it is wet, windfall and branches will be slippery. Some of the trails are quite indistinct especially with the all the cones and sticks on them from last winter.
Details to come.
- Read through the Orienteering Canada Self-Guided Orienteering Guidelines.
- Please stay home if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 or illness.
- Please stay home if you have been in close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Only participate in orienteering activities with individuals from your COVID-19 bubble.
- Stay at least 2 metres away from all other park/wilderness users and do not congregate at the trailheads or control sites.
- Do not touch the control(checkpoint) flags – just get within 5 metres or so.
These trainings are being offered as a free mental health service to all Sage Orienteering Club members. Now is a great time to go for a run by yourself or in a very small group following current health guidelines in the beautiful Shuswap nature.
How it Works
- Register your Sage Orienteering Club membership and waiver online (just one combined form this year!).
- Send an email to David Bakker (email@example.com) to register for the course of your choice and let us know how many of you are going. Everyone participating needs to be a member of Sage for insurance reasons.
- Run the course whenever you want during the time when the event is open. If you are interested in comparing results & routes with others (a great learning experience for everyone), record a GPS track on your smartwatch or phone.
- (Optional) Upload a .gpx file (you can export this from Strava, Garmin Connect, Attackpoint, and many others) to our website (link will be posted once registration is open) which will calculate your split times. We will also then overlay all the GPS tracks onto the map together so you can compare routechoices with others. Here are some instructions on how to do this.
Events occurring in and around the Salmon Arm area.