Map: South Canoe
This event is for experienced orienteers only, taking place at the southern end of the South Canoe trail system. A beginner friendly event will be run simultaneously on the Coyote Park map. Click here to view the beginner friendly event details.
Update (April 13th): This event will open up on Saturday morning to give people an extra day to get out there. Feel free and request your map now, but it will not be sent out until early Saturday morning when all the flags have been set.
Due to COVID, at present, we are not having our usual in person events. Instead, we are setting up trainings that can be completed on your own, at any time during the week. We have checkpoint markers out in the woods, and individually email out your course maps. You print out the attached PDF to get your own map (or keep it on your cellphone) to use.
This event is not beginner friendly as it takes place in a rugged, technically challenging area.
Location, Parking, and Map
This event will take place on the southern half of the South Canoe map.
Parking is on the edge of the road at the end of 70th St. SE (see pin on the map at the bottom of the page). From here, there is an 800m walk/run (think of it as a built in warm-up!) along the Gun Range access road, and then along a trail through the edge of some private property (please be respectful and do not leave the trail) to the start/finish location.
The map has been updated to the new map standard (ISOM2017-2), and a number of small changes (including a few new boulders that grew over the past few years) have been made to this part of the map.
Remember that course distances are measured in a straight line, so you will likely be traveling much further than the posted distance. There is also an 800m walk to the start (a warm-up!) and from the finish (a cool-down!) back to the parking.
- Beginner: The beginner course is at Coyote Park instead, since it is impossible to set a beginner course at this venue.
- Intermediate (3.3 km): Just a little tiny bit more challenging than the last beginner course at South Canoe, this trail has a mix of on and off trail navigation.
- Advanced (4.2 km): A tough, physical, off-trail extravaganza. Wear full leg cover, and get out there sooner rather than later before more of the vegetation fills out.
- Read through the Orienteering Canada Self-Guided Orienteering Guidelines.
- Please stay home if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 or illness.
- Please stay home if you have been in close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Only participate in orienteering activities with individuals from your COVID-19 bubble.
- Stay at least 2 metres away from all other park/wilderness users and do not congregate at the trailheads or control sites.
- Do not touch the control(checkpoint) flags – just get within 5 metres or so.
These trainings are being offered as a free mental health service to all Sage Orienteering Club members. Now is a great time to go for a run by yourself or in a very small group following current health guidelines in the beautiful Shuswap nature.
How it Works
- Register your Sage Orienteering Club membership and waiver online (just one combined form this year!).
- Send an email to David Bakker (email@example.com) to register for the course of your choice and let us know how many of you are going. Everyone participating needs to be a member of Sage for insurance reasons.
- Run the course whenever you want during the time when the event is open. If you are interested in comparing results & routes with others (a great learning experience for everyone), record a GPS track on your smartwatch or phone.
- (Optional) Upload a .gpx file (you can export this from Strava, Garmin Connect, Attackpoint, and many others) to our website (link will be posted once registration is open) which will calculate your split times. We will also then overlay all the GPS tracks onto the map together so you can compare routechoices with others. Here are some instructions on how to do this.
Events occurring in and around the Salmon Arm area.