Map: McQueen Lake
Due to COVID, at present, we are not having our usual in person events. Instead, we are setting up trainings that can be completed on your own, at any time during the week. We have checkpoint markers out in the woods, and you print out the PDF(s) in your online registration to get your own map to use.
This event is beginner friendly, and we are happy to help answer any questions you have. Just get in touch!
We are using an automated online form, which upon it's completion will allow the download of this week's course maps as PDF files (it will also send you an email confirmation).
Remember, if you request a map, you must manually check in by an email to grannysmith111 AT gmail DOT com when you are done the event (including the name(s) of all participants(s) and which course(s) they did). Unfortunately we aren't able to offer the GPS upload for this event because of a bunch of technical geo-referencing stuff.
Location, Parking, and Map
This event will take place on the southern portion of the McQueen map, on the edge of the grasslands. Lakes and marshes on the map are full with spring water, and may be larger than mapped.
Parking is in a two car pullout along the edge of the road about 1 km up from Lac Du Bois, see map pin at the bottom of this page for exact location. In the unlikely event the pullout is full, there is another pullout about 100 m south towards Lac Du Bois.
The start/finish are just off the road, and can be seen from the parking.
Controls (checkpoints) are marked with pink flagging tape that has "Sage O" and then the control number written on it.
- Beginner (2.0 km): This beginner course is a little bit more challenging than the past few beginner courses as there is some off trail navigation. All off trail navigation is in open grassland areas (not forested), so if you make a plan as you leave each control you will enjoy successful navigation.
- Advanced (3.8 km): This could almost be called an intermediate course, but there is a bit of trickier navigation so we decided to call it advanced instead. Largely off trail navigation, with a mixture of grasslands and forested areas.
- Read through the Orienteering Canada Self-Guided Orienteering Guidelines.
- Please stay home if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 or illness.
- Please stay home if you have been in close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Only participate in orienteering activities with individuals from your COVID bubble.
- Stay at least 2 meters away from all other park/wilderness users and do not congregate at the trailheads or control sites.
- Do not touch the control (checkpoint) flags – just get within 5 meters or so.
These trainings are being offered as a free mental health service to all Sage Orienteering Club members. Now is a great time to go for a run by yourself or in a very small group following current health guidelines in the beautiful Kamloops nature.
Please Do Not Share Maps
We have recently learned that in some cases course maps have been shared with individuals who are not Sage members. While we love sharing our love of this sport, everyone who participates in a Sage Orienteering Club event (including self-directed trainings) must be a Sage member because in order to satisfy our insurer's conditions. Sage members are not allowed to share course maps with others, or allow participation, by individuals (or groups) who are not Sage members. Any map requests that you make are for yourself, and any other Sage members you name during the registration process. We intentionally keep membership costs low (especially for newcomers) to keep the sport accessible to everyone, so please follow the rules.
If maps are distributed in an unauthorized manner, we will be forced to cancel future self-directed trainings.
How it Works
- Register your Sage Orienteering Club membership and waiver online (just one combined form this year!).
- Fill in the event/training specific registration form, which will ask you which course(s) and members will be participating for the course of your choice and let us know how many of you are going. Everyone participating needs to be a member of Sage for insurance reasons. The registration form will allow you to download the course maps.
- Run the course whenever you want during the time when the event is open. If you are interested in comparing results & routes with others (a great learning experience for everyone), record a GPS track on your smartwatch or phone (optional).
- Check in with the event organizer (including participant names and courses of everyone in your family) by sending Jackie an email: grannysmith111 AT gmail DOT com