Organizer: Jackie Bonn (Event Director)
Map: McArthur Island
We will meet near the entrance of the arena (look for an orienteering flag). The event will take place all over the island...rain, snow or sunshine permitting.
- 11:00 - Registration Opens
- 2:00 - Courses Close
There will be someone at the meeting location to give instructions and help as needed following proper COVID protocols.
- Short Course (short distance, easy navigation)
- Long Course (longer distance, easy navigation)
How to Sign Up
Click the "+ Register" button next to your desired course. Follow the instructions. This signs you up for your course so we know how many people are coming to the event and how many maps to print of each course. If you don't do this, there will still be maps on site to pick up and go...registering just helps me know if I print enough.
Who should come anyone that:
- Have heard about this unusual sport of orienteering and would like to learn more about it;
- Enjoy running or hiking but get a little bored grinding out the miles;
- Enjoy maps and thinking on the run;
- Don't enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- Are interested in an activity that you can do with your friends or as a whole family;
- Love being outdoors or in the woods.
What to Wear and Bring:
Ensure that you have good footwear for running on and off trails with decent grip. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty! If it's wet outside you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional. If you have a whistle, please bring one. Wear running clothes suitable for being outside and active and suitable for the weather. Bring something to drink and some snacks for afterwards.
Free (thanks to City of Kamloops and PlayKamloops)