Map: South Canoe
- Can be found at Results.SageOrienteering.ca
- Intermediate - There were some slight syncing problems, try clicking on the point of the start triangle that is angled towards #1 to start both runners at the same time.
- Advanced - Nice work everyone! Thanks for uploading your routes! It might take a little bit to load this page...
There no snow left on the map, so there are lots of other trail users out. Keep your eyes and ears open on the trails for equestrians and mountain bike riders.
There are two courses available.
- Intermediate: 2.0 km measured in a straight line (you will be going further, even if you make no mistakes). Controls close to, but not quite on trails and every leg has a route on a trail that gets to within 50 m of the control. Not quite absolute beginner friendly, but it is on the easier side of intermediate courses. Stays almost exclusively within the Malibu region of South Canoe
- Advanced: 4.3 km measured in a straight line. Challenging on and off trail navigation, but the seasonal vegetation has yet to fill in, so the map is a little bit less green than shown. We tried to keep the climb down - but this is South Canoe so there is climb.
Due to the exceptional global circumstances at the moment, we will not be having our usual events. Instead, we are setting up trainings that can be completed in your own time, any time, over the coming weeks. For all the trainings we will be hanging some flags in the woods for a few weeks, and individually emailing out maps. You print out the pdf to get your own map (or if you are very careful, keep it on your cellphone) to use.
We are choosing training location very carefully to be locations that tend to have low public use to maximize social distancing, but are relatively close to the city to minimize travel. We will be on forested maps exclusively, and not using any of the park maps in the city that are already over-crowded. We have some new maps in the works, but will also be returning to some previously used ones.
- Please stay home if you have any symptoms of illness.
- Only participate in orienteering activities with individuals from your immediate household.
- Stay at least 2 metres away from all other park/wilderness users and do not congregate at the trailheads or control sites.
- Do not touch the control(checkpoint) flags – just get within 5m or so.
- Walk/run with extreme caution to avoid any injuries.
These trainings are being offered as a free mental health service to all Sage Orienteering Club members. Now is a great time to go for a run by yourself or in a very small group in the beautiful Okanagan nature.
How it Works
- Register your Sage Orienteering Club membership online on Zone4. Payment and waiver are both online on Zone4 this year.
- Once registration opens (it's not open yet!), register for the course of your choice and let us know how many of you are going. We will email you a map individually - so make sure your email address with your WhyJustRun account is accurate.
- Run the course whenever you want during the times when the event is open. If you are interested in comparing results & routes with others, record a GPS track on your smartwatch or phone.
- (Optional) Upload a .gpx file (you can export this from Strava, Garmin Connect, Attackpoint, and many others) to our website (link will be posted once registration is open) which will calculate your split times. We will also then overlay all the GPS tracks onto the map together so you can compare routechoices with others. We might not be able to gather socially, but we can still talk about our routechoices digitally.
How You Can Help
These events are running entirely on volunteer manpower. We would love some help if you would be willing to pick up controls at a specified times at the end of each event, and handing them on to the next volunteer who will put them out.