Course MapsNo course maps posted yet.
Map: Bunker Bench
This week's orienteering is in the lower portion of Kenna Cartwirght Park, on a map we call Bunker Bench.
This week's event will take place on the Bunker Bench map near TRU in the bottom part of Kenna Cartwright Park. We will meet in the parking lot right by the composting dropoff. See the google map below for the exact location. The map is named after the World War 2 bunkers that were built to store large quantities of ammunition for the Canadian coastal defence forces. Kamloops was considered a safe spot but within easy reach of the coast by rail. The map is at the north eastern edge of Kenna Cartwright Park and is open sagebrush with some complex rock features.
- Beginner - 2.0km. Easy course, almost all on trails, great for one of your first times out.
- Intermediate - 2.8km. Still a fairly ease course, but pushes you towards a few more off trail legs.
Each week will follow about the same schedule with each event lasting about an hour and a half
- 17:30 - Registration Opens
- 17:35 - Introduction to Orienteering Lesson for Newcomers
- 19:00 - Orienteering Courses Closes
Registration is not open for this week yet, stay tuned. This program is drop in, so please register for each week as registration for each week opens. Register by clicking on the "+ Register" button next to the course of your choice.
Sage Orienteering Club membership (or other orienteering club membership) is required to participate in the events. Fill out the membership form online, and pay in person at your first event. Bonus with your membership is you get your first event free!
Learn to Orienteer and Kamloops Weeknight SeriesWho:
This series of events are for everyone,
regardless of fitness or experience.
They are designed for families with kids, but are open to everyone.
Children under 12 require a parent to participate with them.
We think everyone should try this introduction to orienteering series and especially if you:
- Have heard about this unusual sport of orienteering and would like to learn more about it;
- Enjoy running or hiking but get a little bored grinding out the miles;
- Enjoy maps and thinking on the run;
- Don't enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- Are interested in an activity that you can do with your friends or as a whole family;
- Love being outdoors or in the woods.
When and Where:
Each event will take place in a different city park within city
limits and will run on Wednesday evenings starting at 5:30 beginning in
May to the middle of June. Check each event page to get the exact
meeting location for each week. Doesn't fit you schedule? We also have
weekend events where beginners and families are also always welcome!
Check out the
full schedule for details.
- May 16th - Valleyview
- May 23rd - Thompson Rivers University
- May 30th - Bunker Bench
- June 6th - Mount Dufferin West
- June 13th - Mount Dufferin East
What to Wear and Bring:
Ensure that you have good footwear for running on and off trails with decent grip. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty! If it's wet outside you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional. If you have a whistle, please bring one. Wear running clothes suitable for being outside and active and suitable for the weather. Bring something to drink and some snacks for afterwards.