Organizer: David Bakker (Event Director)
Map: Riverside Park
Welcome to the first night of the Kamloops Learn to Orienteer and Weeknight Series. This beginner friendly series of events runs from the beginner of april to the end of June on Wednesday evenings. There
will be various difficulty options available each week, ranging from suitable to beginners to more advanced orienteers. More details and registration information will be posted in the coming months leading up to the events.
This event will take place in Riverside Park. See map at the bottom of the page to see get driving directions. Exact meeting location within the park TBD.
Each week will follow about the same schedule with each event lasting about an hour and a half
- 17:30 - Registration Opens
- 17:45 - Introduction to Orienteering Lesson #1 (or once everyone has signed in)
- 19:00 - Orienteering Courses Closes
Learn to Orienteer and Kamloops Weeknight SeriesWho:
series of events are for everyone, regardless of fitness or experience.
They are designed for families with kids, but are open to everyone.
Children under 12 require a parent to participate with them.
We think everyone should try this introduction to orienteering series and especially if you:
- Have heard about this unusual sport of orienteering and would like to learn more about it;
- Enjoy running or hiking but get a little bored grinding out the miles;
- Enjoy maps and thinking on the run;
- Don't enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- Are interested in an activity that you can do with your friends or as a whole family;
- Love being outdoors or in the woods.
When and Where:
take place in a different city park within city limits and will run on
Wednesday evenings starting at 5:30 from the start of May to the middle
of June. Check each event page to get the exact meeting location for
each week. Doesn't fit you schedule? We also have weekend events where
beginners are always welcome! Check out the
full schedule for details.
- May 2nd - Riverside Park
- May 9th - Valleyview
- May 16th - Thompson Rivers University
- May 23rd - Bunker Bench
- May 30th - Hospital Hill (New Map!)
- June 6th - Mount Dufferin West
- June 13th - Mount Dufferin East
What to Wear and Bring:
Ensure that you have good footwear for running on and off trails with decent grip. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty! If it's wet outside you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional. If you have a whistle, please bring one. Wear running clothes suitable for being outside and active and suitable for the weather. Bring something to drink and some snacks for afterwards.
Orienteering events occurring in the Kamloops area have a green colour for the title font.