Stake Lake Kamloops
October 8th 2021 12:00pm - October 17th 2021 12:00am
Organizers: Peter Gray (Event Director), Peter Gray (Course Planner), Jackie Bonn (Assistant)
Map: Stake Lake
Due to COVID, at present, we are not having our usual in person events. Instead, we are setting up trainings that can be completed on your own, at any time during the week. We have checkpoint markers out in the woods, and you request a digital version of the course map(s) as a PDF which you can print out (or keep it on your cellphone) to use.
This event is beginner friendly, and we are happy to help answer any questions you have. Just get in touch!
Flagging tape is out in the forest a little bit early, so registration is now open - and you can head out as soon as you get the map!
Because our server is currently down, we are back to using old school email for this event. Send an email to Jackie at firstname.lastname@example.org - there may be some delay in getting the map file sent back to you. We are working on fixing our server to automate map distribution again.
Remember, if you request a map, you must manually check in by sending an email back to Jackie. The map is too old to support GPS track upload for check-in.
Location, Parking, and Map
This event will take place on the older Stake Lake map south of Kamloops. Parking is in the main parking lot for the Overlander Ski Club (see map pin at bottom of page). There are outhouses on site - bring your own hand-sanitizer.
Controls are marked with pink flagging tape that have the control number written on them.
Remember that courses are measured in a straight line, you will likely be travelling much further.
- Beginner (Distance 2.7 km): A beginner friendly course with easier navigation that stays almost entirely on trails.
- Advanced: (Distance 5.5 km): More challenging navigation, but this is on the easier side of recent "Advanced" courses.
- Read through the Orienteering Canada Self-Guided Orienteering Guidelines.
- Please stay home if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 or illness.
- Please stay home if you have been in close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Only participate in orienteering activities with individuals from your COVID bubble.
- Stay at least 2 metres away from all other park/wilderness users and do not congregate at the trailheads or control sites.
- Do not touch the control (checkpoint) flags – just get within 5 metres or so.
These trainings are being offered as a free mental health service to all Sage Orienteering Club members. Now is a great time to go for a run by yourself or in a very small group following current health guidelines in the beautiful Shuswap nature.
How it Works
- Register your Sage Orienteering Club membership and waiver online (just one combined form this year!).
- Fill in the event/training specific registration form, which will ask you which course(s) and members will be participating for the course of your choice and let us know how many of you are going. Everyone participating needs to be a member of Sage for insurance reasons. The registration form will allow you to download the course maps.
- Run the course whenever you want during the time when the event is open. If you are interested in comparing results & routes with others (a great learning experience for everyone), record a GPS track on your smartwatch or phone (optional).
- Check in with the event organizer (including participant names and courses of everyone in your family) by sending an email back to Jackie reporting which course(s) you were on.